Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wonder who wrote this?


Anonymity is when a person can tell their stories and thoughts without including their name. Being anonymous can be a very good thing. It allows people not to jeopardize their names for their stories. For example, if someone were to witness a crime and were to tell the police what happened, they may want to keep their identity anonymous, especially to the criminal. The person may feel much safer to be anonymous.

Anonymity can also be a great advantage to those who write great stories! It makes their story much more interesting and mysterious to the readers. Many people may feel more curiosity and excitement if there is no author. Not only that, but their story can be very meaningful and helpful to others. An example is a book that I read called “Go Ask Alice” whose author is anonymous. The book is a diary of a teenage girl who had a drug addiction and it was a testimony against drug use. It was a powerful book that leaves a mark on generations of teen readers; that left a mark on me.

On the other hand, being anonymous can be a disadvantage since the person lacks the creditability of what they write. Not only that, but there have been many problems where stories and comments were vile, crude, or controversial from anonymous people. Most of us here know what I mean; there was at least one anonymous comment that you knew wasn’t right to say. 

I think that anonymity should be only used for your safety and when you want to share something that is honest and would be meaningful and helpful to others. If they want to be anonymous, then there must always be a reason for it. For instance, if I was the author of “Go Ask Alice”, I would share my diary to help other teens, but I would want to keep my identity to myself because I don’t think I would feel comfortable if everyone knew it was my diary.  

Other than that, being anonymous is just an excuse to hide in order to say something that people may not approve of.  As the saying goes, “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all” and that rule still applies even when you’re being anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment