Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pssst, do you know the answer to this question?


Cheating. It’s something that everyone will witness, hear about, and maybe even do. To be honest, I have done it once when I was in elementary school. You can write the answers on your eraser or arm, you and friends take sneak peeks at each other’s tests, keeping notes in your pocket, and taking or copying someone else’s work. We all know that cheating is bad, yet why is it such a rising epidemic in schools?

Today, having a great education is one of the most important things to obtain in our society. As a student, I don’t want to get a bad mark on an assignment or test. I want to have high achievements and I know many others feel the same way. Failure is something that scares a lot of students that some of us resort to cheating in order to prevent it.

In Mary Ward, cheating is totally different from other schools. In honesty, I think it’s much harder for students to cheat. The Test Centre won’t allow the back of the graphing calculator, for it may contain cheat cheats and they make sure that we only have the necessary supplies for doing the test; no back packs, no drinks, nothing but pencils, pens, erasers, and/or calculator. Also, the people beside you may not even being doing the same test as you so you can’t take a sneak peek. 

In my opinion, cheating is when someone does not have the confidence in themselves to achieve in something. Students can prevent from the temptation of cheating by building up the confidence that they can do it. For me, if I ever fail a test or assignment, I will be upset about it but I learn from my mistakes and next time I’ll get it right. Every student should always try their best and be honest, because an honest work is more gratifying than cheating. Besides, school is a place for learning and as Vilfredo Pareto says, “Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment