Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crowfunding


I’ve never heard of crowfunding before until now. Once I heard the word, I literally thought it was about funding crows for some kinds of reason, but it’s not crows we are funding, but stories! So crowfunding is when journalists propose story ideas and citizens can pledge contributions to the stories they want to see get reported. If enough people chip in on an idea, it gets investigated and then the story is published.

The concept of crowfunding is really easy to get, and very interesting. I think that it’s a great way for journalists to be able to write their stories, especially when they do not have enough funds. It gives them the opportunity to do what they love, and it also benefits the people who are reading it. For newspapers, magazines, and books, we all only read the things that interest us the most. I think that crowfunding is a great concept because it allows everyone to read the stories that they want to hear, and I, for sure, only like to read things that interest me the most.

Although crowfunding is an interesting and easy concept to understand, the question is: will it work? I think it will work as it continues to grow in today’s society. When I went to the website “www.spot.us”, I saw that people are actually chipping in to some stories that they want to see reported. Though, there is some controversy about crowfunding, where some people support and others don’t. Some believe that crowfunding is a democratic media, while others say its news sold to the highest bidder.

In my opinion, I think that crowfunding should be considered as a democratic media.  Journalists only pitch their story ideas and write them if the people want to see them published. Democracy is, as the saying goes, “by the people, for the people”, which is what crowfunding does.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is good to have a diverse source of news that is not simply a result of popularity. That is how people learn about opposing viewpoints or new perspectives. It's not always a good thing to have the media that we choose self-subscribed. It may lead to a narrow worldview.

    ReplyDelete